Office Recycling Materials Accepted
- Junk Mail
- Phone Books
- Note Pads
- Grocery Sacks
- Take out containers
- Plastic Drinking Bottles
- Convenience Store plastic cups
- File Folders
- Aluminum Cans
- Tin Cans
- Paper Back Books
- CD’s DVD’s and the plastic case
Top Ten Most “Unwanted”
- Plastic/Tyvek Envelopes
- Packing Peanuts
- Styrofoam Cups
- Grocery Store plastic bags
- Shrink Wrap
- Carbon Paper
- Napkins/Kleenex/Restroom Waste (Paper Towels)
- Coffee Stir Sticks/Single Use Sugar Packets
While many of these items are in fact recyclable – They are not allowed in the recycling processing facilities for various reasons.
Recycling Tips for the Office:
- Each employee should have their own cardboard container to collect comingled recyclables at their cubicle.
- Re-label & reuse old file folders.
- Print fewer copies of meeting agendas & reports – email the meeting outline.
- Properly train employees on using printers efficiently so paper is not being wasted through misuse.
- Print double sided copies using recycled copy paper.
- Use email whenever possible.
- Recycle all non-sensitive office paper.
- When using note pads – write on both sides.
- Reuse old cardboard boxes for storage or shipping packages.
- Opt out of all unwanted & unsolicited mailings (Junk Mail).
- Proofread your work on screen before printing hard copies.
- Reuse plastic grocery store bags instead of trash can liners.
- Look for & purchase products with post-consumer recycled content.
- Donate unwanted books in your office to the library or recycle them (paper backs) if they are of no value to the library.
- Use permanent tape dispensers & buy the refills.
- Purchase non-toxic renewable chemicals for cleaning the office.
- Purchase batteries that are re-chargeable.
- Buy your office supplies in bulk. This is more cost effective & cuts down on shipping & packaging.
- Have your toner cartridges refilled (We use Cartridge World of Lee’s Summit) instead of trashing them.
- Switch to electronic contracts & have clients email you the signed copy.
- Save electricity – When replacing incandescent bulbs – buy LED’s.
- Reuse or recycle packaging materials & incorporate recyclable materials in your outgoing shipping dept.